This is an excellent full-time career opportunity, working Monday through Friday.
We offer very competitive benefits
St. Luke’s Community House Preschool in West Nashville is seeking an enthusiastic, energetic and motivated Child Development Teacher to join our dedicated staff. This is a unique opportunity to make a significant impact in the community and assist us in our efforts to change and improve the lives of our local families. This role reports to the Child Development Director and is responsible for providing a safe, healthy, learning environment to children ages 6 weeks to 5 years.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are core values of St. Luke’s Community House. We believe that the work environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together. Applicants whose work incorporates an inclusive perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and equity are particularly encouraged to apply.
· Responsible for maintaining best practices as outlined by St. Luke’s Child Development Center and NAEYC.
· Follows all policies and procedures outlined in St. Luke’s Employee Handbook and Job Description.
· Supports the program's philosophy-regarding how children learn through play, positive discipline, making students, families, and co-workers feel safe and loved.
Implementation of the Curriculum
· Is proficient in the curriculum and the use of Conscious Discipline for children as appropriate.
· Is responsible for completion, submission, and execution of weekly lesson plans with any necessary assistance from the Instructional Coach, Supervisor, or Child Development Director. Assures children’s goals are addressed in lesson plans.
· Maintains personal file information on assigned groups of children. Responsible that all necessary notes and documentation are made for each child’s progress.
· Develops and maintains positive partnerships with fellow staff, supervisors, and parents.
· Arrives to program with a positive attitude.
· Presents concerns and/or negative information with tact and handles communication with empathy and courtesy with families and staff.
· Communicates directly, respectfully, and consistently with parents/families and staff.
· Communicates with parents and teachers about developmental milestones, early learning standards, curriculum, and our social-emotional learning philosophy.
· Attends all scheduledtraining, staff meetings, in-service and parent meetings, as directed.
· Responsible for being knowledgeable and following DHS childcare guidelines.
· Contributes to annual evaluation of their assigned classroom by maintaining classroom environment and materials in accordance with DHS regulation and NAEYC accreditation.
· Obtains the minimum number of training hours as required by DHS and/or the Child Development Director.
· Is present in the classroom ready to work at the assigned start time of the shift
· Works with assigned group of children or youth on individual developmental milestone and goals.
· Shares the day-to-day responsibilities of the classroom with other co-workers.
· Provides list of supplies as needed to Child Development Director, Supervisor.
· Maintains a neat and clutter free environment.
· Performs all emergency drills in accordance with St. Luke’s policies and procedures.
· Maintains first aid kit as specified by DHS.
· Greets, encourages, and supervises volunteers in attendance of the preschool program and ensures that they follow guidelines established by St. Luke’s.
Education and Experience
· High school diploma.
· CDA or CDA in progress preferred.
· Experience in a licensed, quality childcare, accredited preferred.
· Personnel supervision skills
· Good organizational and communication skills
· Commitment to customer service
· Remains calm in tense situations; maintains a level head and communicates effectively
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to communicate with peers/general public.
· Job performance will require the ability to move throughout the building as well as sit or remain stationary for extended periods of time.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to talk or hear, sit, stand, walk, reach, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, taste or smell.
· Ability to move 40 pounds.
The candidate must be able to pass a drug test, have a clear background check and meet the Department of Human Services Requirements for the State of Tennessee.
St. Luke’s Community House is an equal opportunity employer.