The Assistant Teacher/Teacher’s Aide must have a minimum of 2 years of experience working with children full time in an early childhood classroom.
The Assistant Teacher/Teacher Aide must meet the Department of Education and Department of Health qualifications as specified in its policy manual.
The Assistant Teacher/Aide reports directly to the Executive Director and or the Education Director.
The Starrett Early Center’s Assistant Teacher/Aide role requires an independent learner who is, detail oriented, efficient, analytical, and reliable.
This role requires someone who can manage multi-tasking on various levels. He or she must be able to follow and execute multi-step directions.
Under the classroom supervision of the Lead Teacher, the Assistant Teacher/Teacher’s Aide will be responsible for working within the framework of Starrett Early Learning Center to carry out its functions, policies and procedures.
The Assistant Teacher/Teacher’s Aide will provide direct support as deemed pertinent to the Lead teacher in all instructional components and curriculum implementation.
The Assistant Teacher/Teacher’s Aide will serve as a role model in the classroom for students.
He or she will be responsible to grow professionally and maintain an active study plan.
The Assistant Teacher/Teacher’s Aide will work to maintain a positive professional relationship with parents and guardians.
· Prepare classroom equipment and instructional materials for lessons.
· Instruct students in proper classroom procedures and behavior.
· Maintain cleanliness and safety of classroom environment and furnishings.
· Assist students with toileting and hand washing.
· Collaborate with teaching teams and parents on a regular basis regarding student progress.
· Adapt instructional materials as necessary to meet special education guidelines.
· Possess effective classroom management and demonstrate a strong ability to manage time and adhere to deadlines.
· Demonstrate leadership skills, the ability to multitask and take initiative.
· Complete mandatory 2 hours of training in child abuse maltreatment, identification, reporting and prevention. In addition, must complete a minimum of 15 hours of training each year in subjects related to child health, safety, supervision and early childhood
· Assist the Education Director in making sure Starrett Early Learning Center is clean, safe and in compliance with Department of Health regulations on a daily basis.
· Ensure safety, direct supervision of students, cleanliness and organization is maintained in the classroom at all times.
· Assist in developing a program of sound educational goals appropriate to the age and developmental level of children.
· Two years of college classes or an associate degree in early childhood education or related program preferred
· NYS Assistant Teacher Certification
· Certification in CPR and First Aid