The Preschool Assistant will assist in managing the classroom, playground supervision of children, preparing materials for learning activities, participating with and guiding children in learning activities, assist in providing safe and sanitary environments for children and working with parents/legal guardians in reference to planning for children's needs.
1. Comply with Head Start Performance Standards as well as Kentucky Childcare Licensing regulations and Head Start and St Benedict Center Policies and Procedures.
2. Understand and comply with Child Care Licensing, STARS, and ECERS (Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale) as applicable to position.
3. Assist Teacher in the planning and preparation of learning activities for preschool children.
a. Assist Teacher in implementation of daily curriculum.
b. Help promote literacy within the classroom.
c. Assist with classroom, lunchtime, naptime, and playground supervision of children.
d. Use daily routines as teachable moments.
e. Participate and interact with children
f. Work with children who have special needs and plan accommodations for activities as needed.
4. Provide for health and safety of children.
a. Assist in daily health observation of children.
b. Promote personal care routines including toileting and/or diapering, hand washing, brushing teeth, and other preventative health practices.
c. Assist in maintaining a clean and organized classroom.
5. Encourage parental involvement in program.
a. Assist Teacher in discussing child's progress with parents/legal guardians.
b. Assist families with transition between Early Head Start, Head Start, and other preschool programs.
c. Along with Teacher, meet with Family Advocate weekly to discuss specific needs of families or attendance issues, and collaborate to resolve any areas of concern.
6. Assist with maintaining required paperwork and meeting deadlines.
a. Assist in screenings/assessments and anecdotal observations of children.
a. Participate in all trainings and staff meetings sponsored by agency or recommended trainings for professional learning.
b. Attend monthly site meetings.
c. Establish and maintain a positive, productive working relationship with all staff.
d. Arrange for coverage of the classroom with instructions for the substitute. Notify the other staff at your site about your absence and who will be substituting for the day.
e. Assume responsibilities and duties upon the absence of the Teacher.
8. Additional duties as assigned.
1. Child Development Associate (CDA) credential for Preschool ( current)
2. Must have GED or High School Diploma.
3. One (1) year of experience in Early Childhood Education (ECE) preferred.
1) Paid Holidays
2) Paid Time Off (PTO)
3) Paid $25,000 Life Insurance
4) Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
5) Access to the Center’s Section 125 Health Plan which includes Medical, Dental, Vision and Supplemental Insurance.
6) Access to 401k Retirement Program with 3% company match
St. Benedict Center is a non-profit child care and early learning center in Louisville, KY.