The Burlington Children's Space is seeking an Executive Director to join our community. BCS is a vibrant, community based early care and education program with a 38 year history serving children from 6 weeks to 5 years old and their families. BCS is one of 5 Therapeutic Child Care Programs working in partnership with the HowardCenter, an Early Head Start and Universal Pre-K partner program, and a Child and Adult Care Food Program participant. We have a 5 Star rating from the State of Vermont and NAEYC accreditation and are housed in the McClure Multi-Gen Center, a building we co-own with Outright Vermont.
The current Executive Director, who has been at BCS for 15 years, will actively support the transition phase until June 2023.
- Oversee compliance with Vermont State Licensing Standards, STARS rating system, and NAEYC accreditation standards and processes
- Represent BCS in partnership agreements such as ACT 166 Universal Pre-K, Head Start and the HowardCenter
- Coordinate and document monthly staff meetings
- Complete and document the BCS annual Professional Development Plan
- Participate in BCS Board of Directors meetings
Mission and Long Range Strategy:
- Together with the Board of Directors and Operations Director, regularly revisit BCS's mission to maintain its vitality and relevance to the organization and community
- Ensure that the BCS mission guides choices surrounding programming, funding, resource management, staffing and the organization's overall message
- Communicate BCS's mission and work to internal and external communities in person and using the BCS website, blogs and social media
- Maintain active systems for regular communication with the BCS community
Staff Supervision and Development
- Recruit and complete the hiring process for new staff members
- Actively participate in efforts to increase workforce development and create opportunities for staff in the ECE field
- Plan and implement orientation of new staff to policies and procedures in collaboration with the admin team.
- Maintain regular communication with staff regarding schedules, events, center information, schedules, etc.
- Maintain direct supervision of BCS teaching and support staff
- Provide constructive discipline as necessary for teaching staff
- Complete annual evaluation of each teaching staff member to include self-evaluations, documentation of classroom observations and feedback, completion of professional development
- Meet at least quarterly with all teaching staff using reflective supervision
- Oversee staff members' Individual Professional Development Plans (IPDPs) and ensure staff documentation of qualifications and training are up to date in BFIS
- Document classroom observations and follow-up meetings for personnel files
- Encourage staff to develop leadership skills by participating in community events and relevant committees
- Participate in at least 1 community board or committee related to BCS
- Coordinate internship and/or volunteer schedules and paperwork with institutions and classroom staff, providing supervision for the intern consistent with licensing and regulations
- Train and support teachers in orienting new staff to their classroom procedures
Parent Support and Communication
- In collaboration with the Operations Director, maintain regular systems for communication with parents and school community members
- Coordinate with Operations Director to ensure the enrollment process occurs smoothly and families and classroom staff are well informed about the process
- Provide information to parents as requested regarding BCS programming, partnerships, and referrals for additional services as needed
- Support and coordinate with teachers to provide information regarding child development, developmental stages and community resources to families as needed, this includes convening teams of service providers and associated case management
- Ensure that teachers complete and document parent conferences
- Ensure that teachers complete regular assessments aligned with partner agreements
- Participate in parent conferences as requested
- Facilitate conflict resolution between teachers and parents as necessary
- Ensure that weekly communication is occurring between BCS and parents
- Follow up on recommendations for program evaluations and results
- Ensure proper authorization is received from parents for evaluations and information sharing
As always, organizational change and development will impact on the duties of the Executive Director and Operations Director. The Board of Directors may assign additional duties as necessary with or without notice
A Master's Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field that meets CDD Licensing Requirements for Director plus 3 years of staff supervisory experience. A related degree could be social work or psychology, with equivalent experience in a school setting. Experience providing staff supervision is essential to this position and is required for employment. Experience working with families in a supportive, strength based framework is foundational to all positions at BCS.
BCS is one of 5 Therapeutic Child Care Centers working in partnership with the HowardCenter. We are actively engaged in efforts to address the impacts of trauma within our community and create a working environment where staff examine their experiences and approaches through several forms of reflective practice and professional development. The Executive Director will continue to lead these efforts with support from other TCC programs.
Nice To Haves
Burlington Children's Space is proud of our comprehensive compensation package. It is designed specifically to support our top-level Early Childhood Education Teachers, and includes:
- Highly Competitive Salary Starting at $70,000.
- Health Insurance
- 4 Weeks of Paid Annual, Personal, and Sick Leave
- Paid Winter and Summer Breaks
- Employer-Sponsored Retirement Fund
- Discounted Tuition for Children
- Professional Development Funding
Salary : $70,000 to $80,000/Yr
Minimum Education : Master
Job Type : Full Time
Category : Education/Training
Minimum Experience : 3 Yrs
Location : Burlington, VT