CAPSTONE COMMUNITY ACTION JOB POSTING
DATES OF POSTING: 1/3/2020 – Open Until Filled
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
POSITION: Food and Nutrition Coordinator
BARGAINING UNIT POSITION: No,
LOCATIONS: Barre, VT
PROGRAM: Family and Community Support Services
SCHEDULE: Full-time, 40 hours per week
CLASSIFICATION: Non Exempt, hourly
WAGE: $18.28 per hour, based on education and experience
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: See Job Description
Capstone Community Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider. Applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.
PROGRAM: Family and Community Support Services
POSITION: Food and Nutrition Coordinator (Washington County)
BARGAINING UNIT POSITION: No
DATE UPDATED: December 2019
- General Statement:
The Food and Nutrition Coordinator will manage the Capstone Community Action Food Shelf, and identify and respond to needs in the community relating to hunger and nutrition challenges. The coordinator works under the direction of the Family and Community Support Service Program Director.
Project and Funding Source: State of Vermont (3 Squares VT Outreach), and CSBG, donated funds
A. Essential Functions:
- Operate, stock, and maintain the Capstone Community Action Food Shelf in Barre. Order and/or solicit donations of food. Keep shelving, freezers, and refrigerators in working and clean order. Inventory USDA Commodities per regulations. Unload trucks and pick up food from area donors.
- Coordinate and manage volunteers at the Food Shelf. Maintain job descriptions, verify time sheets, submit reports as required, and provide training and support on food programs to new employees in other departments.
- Develop nutrition education programming opportunities within the Central Vermont Community. Work with intra agency resources to develop new tools and venues for teaching nutrition. Work with area community based organizations. Provide nutrition information and 3 Squares VT resources through the Food Shelf.
- Assist Development staff in finding and securing financial resources to support food and nutrition initiatives when appropriate.
- Maintain efficient and consistent coverage at the Food Shelf and offer welcoming and helpful support. Engage families and individuals in a meaningful dialogue for the purpose of mutually assessing their needs. Identify and/or provide appropriate services and referrals.
- Supervise, train, evaluate, and support volunteers & staff, including FCSS Program Assistant.
- Cultivate and maintain respectful professional relationships with community partners, members, and co-workers.
B. Other Duties:
- Perform other duties as assigned by FCSS Program Director.
- Maintain records, compile data about services delivered, and submit monthly and quarterly reports in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manage and perform activities required by the Community Services Block Grant and the 3 Squares VT contracts.
4. Involve and represent Capstone in the broader community. Develop and increase awareness of issues impacting people with low-incomes. Work collaboratively with area service providers, State agency employees, and other community based organizations.
- B.A. Relevant experience may be substituted for degree.
- Minimum of four years’ experience with human services. Relevant experience with food preparation, nutrition education or nutrition services, or other related experience is acceptable.
- Physically capable to meet the demands of the position including strength sufficient to lift cases of food weighing up to 50 lbs, move pallets, use a hand truck to move food from or into storage, climb into and out of trucks, and lift product onto shelving.
- Demonstrated knowledge of human services, domestic violence issues, adult development, and educational and human service networks in central Vermont. Demonstrated sensitivity to issues related to poverty and the barriers faced by people with low incomes.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Responsibilities occasionally may require an adjusted work schedule and evening/weekend hours in order to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with diverse internal and external constituencies including co-workers, parents and children, service providers, and public officials.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, willingness to adopt a team approach to management and ability to delegate responsibility. Experience managing volunteers.
- A home telephone, reliable insured transportation, and a valid Vermont driver’s license.
Medical, Dental, Disability, 401K, Paid Time off and more
Salary: $18.28 to $18.28/Hr
Minimum Education: Bachelor's
Job Type: Full Time
Category: Customer Service
Minimum Experience: 4 Yrs
Location: Barre, VT