Blakemore Childrens Center seeks an enthusiastic and efficient Cook. The cook is responsible for all food-related services for the Center. This includes preparing nutritionally balanced, attractive family-style meals and snacks for children and staff, planning the weeks menu, and purchasing all food and misc. items needed for the week. This also includes maintaining the kitchen and eating areas in a clean, hygienic, safe and presentable condition. The cook may be required to aid in the supervision of children during meals or snack or to assist in the classroom in case of an emergency.
- Is knowledgeable of USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program requirements for children.
- Plans, posts and follows approved menus that meet USDA/CACFP requirements.
- Notes any food substitutions on the menu.
- Keeps accurate meal and snack counts as required for USDA/CACFP.
- Economically shops for food and related supplies and maintains an accurate inventory.
- Prepares and serves food at safe, appropriate temperatures and in appropriate serving dishes.
- Does not serve children under the age of four years the following foods: hot dogs, whole or sliced into rounds, whole grapes, nuts, popcorn, raw peas, hard pretzels, spoonfuls of peanut butter or chunks of raw carrots or meat larger than can be swallowed whole.
- Maintains safe storage for food, cooking and serving supplies, equipment, utensils and cleaning supplies in accordance with state and local regulations.
- Keeps the refrigerator, stove and hood, can opener and other appliances clean and in good working order.
- Cleans the kitchen counters, shelves and drawers.
- Sets the tables for meals and snacks according to proper etiquette.
- Follows all center, local regulatory and NAEYC health, safety, and hygiene procedures.
- Empties and cleans trash and garbage cans.
- Washes and sanitizes dishes and cookware using the dishwasher or local sanitizing methods as required by the Health Department.
- Understands emergency procedures and what to do in cases including but not limited to fire, tornado, hurricane or chemical leak.
- When requested, assists teachers with food and cooking experiences they plan for children.
- Work in harmony with other center staff and show enthusiasm for the job.
- Establish and maintain a friendly, supportive rapport with families.
- Participate in ongoing in-service training to expand knowledge of child development and food service.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Relevant experience in a childcare facility kitchen, commercial kitchen, school cafeteria or its equivalent.
- Possess knowledge of basic principles of good nutrition.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, shop, prepare and serve balanced meals and snacks.
- Experience with the USDA/CACFP Food Program preferred.
- Good personal cleanliness habits.
- Sincere interest in working with young children and a willingness to participate in child development training opportunities.
Nice To Haves
Hours and Benefits:
Hours are Monday-Friday 8-2. Paid time off includes 1-2 weeks vacation, as well as sick and personal leave. Salary is based on education and experience in the range of $13-$18/hour.
Salary : $13 to $18/Hr
Minimum Education : High School or Equivalent
Job Type : Part Time
Category : Hospitality/Travel
Minimum Experience : None
Location : Nashville, TN