The Good Shepherd Preschool is an evangelical Christian faith-based ministry of Highway Assembly of God in Fredericksburg, Virginia. As such, we seek serious Christian candidates who are active members of a local church and advocates for the Gospel, committed to integrating a biblical Christian worldview into daily educational programming. Our mission is to provide a professional and safe learning environment for preschool children ages 3 to 4, with an emphasis on play-based, hands-on activities. We are committed to a strong academic program in which students have opportunity to gain phonic and early reading skills, introductory mathematics and science skills, as well as handwriting and fine motor enhancement, and that integrates biblical truths in order to help students develop a lifelong Christ-centered worldview.
Classroom experiences are enriched by music and physical education programs, arts and crafts, educational learning centers, dramatic play, creative play, socialization, field trips, story times, free play indoors and outdoors, and numerous extra-curricular activities based upon Christian principles.
Job Summary: Responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing instructional and extracurricular learning activities for preschool children, ages 3 to 5 years old.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plans and implements daily lesson plans to instruct preschool-aged children in activities designed to promote intellectual and creative growth.
- Selects, evaluates and refines a variety of teaching methods and strategies for the active engagement of students and improvement of student learning based upon current instructional practices and curriculum goals.
- Develops schedules and routines to ensure adequate physical activity, rest and playtime.
- Evaluates students' progress; provides students with prompt specific evaluative feedback.
- Participates in in-service training and attends local and regional early child development conferences, seminars and meetings.
- Organizes and maintains a developmentally appropriate classroom that is organized, clean and safe.
- Maintains classroom records, attendance records, health and safety forms and procedures, and written reports.
- Communicates regularly with parents on students' growth and progress.
- Supervises classroom assistants and helpers.
- Models professional, moral and ethical standards as well as personal integrity in all interactions.
- Provides other related duties as may, from time-to-time, be assigned by the director in accordance with preschool policies and practices.
Education / Experience: Candidates should identify as Christians and be capable of integrating the biblical Christian worldview into daily educational programming. A candidate with a bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Child and Family Studies, Child Development or Special Education is preferred. A candidate with a Liberal Arts degree who also holds a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential, or a candidate with a degree in Psychology or Social Work who has appropriate preschool teaching experience, would also be considered. Preschool classroom teaching experience is preferred but not required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Ability to pass criminal background check.
- CPR and First Aid Certification or willingness to obtain within 90 days.
- Be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
Applicants with prior teaching experience must have an acceptable rating from such teaching. Desired skills for the Lead Preschool Teacher position include:
- Coursework or a degree in early childhood education or child development preferred.
- Childhood Development Associate (CDA) or Associate's degree in Early Childhood Education (ECE) preferred.
- Previous experience in teaching, childcare or other related fields preferred.
- High level of flexibility and willingness to work all shifts.
- Passionate about working with children.
- Ability to build rapport with children.
- Positive and patient demeanor.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Nice To Haves
Salary : $22,000 to $26,000/Yr
Minimum Education : High School or Equivalent
Job Type : Full Time
Category : Education/Training
Minimum Experience : None
Location : Fredericksburg, VA