We are looking for a mission-minded, individual committed to improving the lives of young children and their families, while effectively and efficiently teaching in our nursery (ages 3 and under) at City Schoolhouse. The Nursery / Toddler Teacher promotes the social, physical, intellectual, and spiritual growth of the children under his/her care and works with the Schoolhouse staff to create an environment of joyful exploratory learning and engaging the family in the learning process at home and in the classroom
The Teacher is responsible for coordinating the curriculum, and managing the day-to-day operational activities of the classroom. Teachers must understand children's cognitive, social, emotional and physical development in order to ensure a safe and stimulating classroom environment where children are actively engaged and encouraged to succeed. The Teacher must be skilled in communicating with both children and adults in order to meet the needs of the children, effectively guide teacher assistants, and resolve parental concerns.
- Monthly communication with families about the month ahead (sent in adequate time for planning)
- Weekly planning with Early Childhood Lead Teacher
- Weekly written correspondence with parents related to student progress/opportunities by EOB on Friday
- Weekly Team Meetings with fellow teachers
- Monthly meeting with Head of School
- Communication with special educators/volunteers
- Conduct Bi-Annual parent/teacher/student conferences
- Communicate and provide Nursery / Toddler staff/volunteers lesson plans for each day
- Execution of lesson plans in partial lecture, primarily a hands-on, active learning approach
- Ensuring that learning is full of joy and students are learning what they NEED and what they LOVE
- Possibly work with Early Childhood students (ages 3-6) during the week.
- Providing care for children, such as setting schedules and routines, grooming, feeding, changing diapers, and cleaning rooms and toys.
- Developing and encouraging age-appropriate learning and socialization to ensure children learn basic skills and concepts, such as communication, manners, sharing, etc.
- Maintaining a safe workplace by monitoring children for health, behavioral, and emotional issues and reporting concerns to staff and parents.
- Helping children discover new interests by introducing them to art, music, sports, and other potential hobbies.
- Ensuring children are learning positive behaviors and providing guidance or approved discipline, as needed.
- Preparing children to enter the next level of care or for entry into school.
- Keeping records relating to child care.
- Working with parents to help children progress towards educational and behavioral goals.
- Be at school no later than 8:00 AM and depart no earlier than 3:30 PM to ensure successful execution
- Ensure that shelves are being rotated monthly and correspond with new material being taught
- Pre-read all materials students are asked to read
- Lesson plans need to be turned in at least one week prior - Daily plans broken out by schedule and topics
- Professional Development Readings to complete 1 per semester (Love and Logic in the Classroom/Thomas Jefferson Education Model/Courage to Grow/ YouTube Socratic Method Training)
- Create a clean and tidy place of beauty where learning can thrive, and people are inspired
- Ensure that all materials are respected, cleaned, and well maintained
- Secure all materials of value are locked away
- Daily sweeping, vacuuming, surfaces wiped down, bathrooms cleaned, and trash taken out
- Minimum of 1 year of professional childcare experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills and basic computer skills
- High energy and the ability to work well with others (staff, children, and parents) and to foster a team environment
- A strong understanding of child development
- Infant/child CPR and First Aid certification (preferred)
- Must clear full background check and must pass health screening
- Associate's Degree in early childhood education or related field of study with a minimum of 30 Credits in ECE (preferred)
- Requirements include the ability to take frequent walks, use hands and fingers, handle objects, tools or controls, talk to and hear voices at many levels. May also be required to kneel, bend, squat or crawl.
- A specific vision ability will be required including the ability to see up close and up to a certain distance, to see colors, have peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills
Christian and Professional Standards
Faculty and Staff of City Schoolhouse are required to adhere to our Statement of Faith, which expresses our core mission and philosophy for existing and serving families in this community. This person subscribes to and is in agreement with the City Schoolhouse Statement of Faith and Educational Philosophy, and agrees to be a regular part of a church fellowship in substantial agreement with the theological portion of the Statement of Faith and Philosophy.
City Schoolhouse requires its employees to be followers of Christ (Romans 10:9-10; I Timothy 4:12; Luke 6:40). As Christ-followers, we imitate his integrity: we are the same person all the time, no matter what role we step into, even when no one is looking. We model committed, generous and appropriate personal and family relationships, business conduct and moral behavior, maintaining healthy boundaries. An employee should demonstrate a teachable spirit, an ability to share love and respect for others, courage to do what is right, and a willingness to honor authority in a legal, ethical and moral manner.
Nice To Haves
Montessori and/or Reggio Emilia experience
Salary Range is $16-$18/hour based on experience.
Childcare assistance or school age enrollment available for employee's children as space is alloted.
Salary : $16 to $18/Hr
Minimum Education : High School or Equivalent
Job Type : Full Time
Category : Education/Training
Minimum Experience : 1 Yr
Location : Louisville, KY