OUTREACH SPECIALIST - The Outreach Specialist will primarily be responsible for interviewing clients to determine services needed; coordination and follow-up in providing services and/or referral to individuals and families who request assistance and are working toward self-sufficiency. This position will provide information about services available to low-income people, make referrals to appropriate agencies and community resources, and provide direct assistance for emergency and supportive services when available. Will be cross-trained in the duties of Housing Support in providing clients with housing information, determination eligibility and assist with required paperwork. The Outreach Specialist will also keep abreast of community resources and benefits/policies that affect low-income people.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and 3 references to email provided; FAX to 802-334-5249; or mail to NEKCA Human Resources, PO Box 346, Newport, VT 05855. E.O.E.
- · Manage flow of applicants in order to minimize waiting time
- · Assess clients in crisis to determine immediate needs and develop plan for immediate response
- · Perform intake for Crisis Program, Warmth, CSBG and any other energy assistance funded programs. Determine and verify income for all applicants in accordance with all program requirements. Order fuel from designated vendor for clients whose application has been approved
- · Assist households in completing forms for a variety of benefit programs, such as 3sqVT, SFA, Gilman housing, Rental applications. Understand and be able to negotiate Economic Services regulations and other information about government benefits available to assist low-income people.
- · Help with Food Shelf duties; picking up food at IGA as requested by IGA up to twice a month , unload and load food donations weighing up to 30 pounds, order from foodbank once a month
- · Coordinate and follow-up with delivery of services to be provided to individuals/families moving towards self-sufficiency. Share options of available resources available to low-income people
- · Develop and nurture contacts with other community-based organizations, participate in collaborative efforts to develop and expand services. Work collaboratively with other providers to address needs of low-income households
- · Work as a team member to support colleagues, program and agency as a whole
- · Process cases with supervisor after each meeting with client
- · Understand all program guidance and policies; incorporate them into daily procedures. Complete all necessary logs, documentation, and client files in accurate and timely manner.
- · Maintain building this includes but not limited to shoveling walkways and driveway, putting down ice melt, general cleaning, recycling, and reporting any concerns or major damage.
- · Attend and participate in staff, agency, and service provider meetings deemed necessary for job performance. Attend Fuel Program procedure and access computer trainings as needed.
- Provide clients with housing information, determination eligibility and assist with required paperwork
- Coordinate and follow-up with delivery of services to be provided to individuals/families moving towards self-sufficiency
Minimum Requirements Include:
• Excellent punctuality and attendance are essential.
• High school diploma or equivalent required and the ability to read, write and have basic math skills. Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
• Must have home telephone and reliable transportation.
• Six months to one year experience in human services field preferred. Knowledge of community resources including local service providers, state and federal agencies.
• Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Must be able to maintain good relations with clients, other outreach staff, and members of the community. Must have knowledge of basic computer skills and record keeping, including spreadsheet applications.
• This position is considered a mandated reporter.
• Must be assertive, responsible and able to work flexible hours. Must be self-motivated, self-initiated and able to demonstrate positive problem solving skills in stressful situations. Will work independently and as part of the Outreach team.
Health & Dental Insurance
Life & Accidental Death Insurance
Long Term Disability
Supplemental Insurance Options
Employee Assistance Program
Pension Plan (SEP)
Sick / Family Leave
Minimum Education: High School or Equivalent
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Experience: 1 Yr
Location: St. Johnsbury, VT