NEKCA has an immediate opening for a Para-Educator / Classroom Assistant in Lyndonville. This position (10 hrs. wk./35 wks. yr.) is grant funded for the 2019-2020 school year. Dates and hours of services will be determined by IEP. The Para-Educator/Classroom Assistant is responsible for the implementation of developmentally appropriate, child initiated, culturally integrated curriculum for children aged 3 – 5 in a classroom environment, in partnership with families in accordance with Head Start Performance Standards, Vermont Child Care Licensing Regulations and the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct.
To apply send a cover letter, resume and 3 references to email address provided; FAX to 802-334-5249; or mail to NEKCA Human Resources, PO Box 346, Newport, VT 05855. E.O.E.
· Provides services in accordance to a child’s Individual Educational Plan (IEP)
· Participates in all IEP meetings and communicates to all teachers
· Provides care and oversight for the physical, emotional health, and safety of the child
· Affirms the abilities of the child and makes accommodations as needed.
· Carry out duties in compliance with HS Performance Standards, Vermont Child Care Licensing Regulations and the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct
· The Temp Classroom Assistant/Para-Educator joins children in all settings, observing and engaging them in conversations at eye level to extend and deepen children’s learning
· Assist in planning and implementing classroom curriculum through age-appropriate activities that include organized learning areas allowing a variety of choices each day based on child and family’s needs, interests, culture, home language and assessment information
· Assist teachers in providing individualized activities
· Assist teachers in completing objective and factual observations on a monthly basis
· Encourage parent/guardian participation in the program
· Be aware of indicators of child abuse and neglect and comply with Vermont Mandated Reporter Law and program Child Protection Protocol
Minimum Requirements Include:
• Minimum of a Child Development Associate credential or Child Care Certificate with 2 years of experience working with groups of young children or be enrolled in a program leading to an AA
or BA degree is required
• At least 18 years of age
• Experience working with young children in a group setting preferred
• Work effectively as a team member
• Sufficient transportation to meet job requirements
• Effective written and oral communication skills
• Maintain confidentiality
• Commitment to be actively engaged in a continuing process of professional development
• Obtain CPR certification and First Aid within six months of employment