TEACHER: The NEKCA St. Johnsbury Head Start, a 5-STARS preschool program, is seeking a full-time Teacher. Are you interested in making a difference in the lives of young children? Then you are the person we are looking for to work in a team teaching situation in the NEKCA St. Johnsbury Head Start classroom (40 hrs/wk, 49 wks/yr). Position requirements: ability to plan and implement age appropriate activities for 3-5 year old children in a classroom setting. Communicate information in the areas of Health, Nutrition, Family/Community Partnerships and Education. Willingness and ability to function in a team effort, basic computer skills a must, keep meaningful and objective records and maintain confidentiality. Minimum requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or related education field required and experience working with young children.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and 3 references to email provided; FAX to 802-334-5249 or mail to NEKCA Human Resources, PO Box 346, Newport, VT 05855. E.O.E.
- Carry out duties in compliance with HS Performance Standards, Vermont Child Care Licensing Regulations for Center-Based Child Care and Preschool Programs and the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct
- Teachers join children in all settings, observing and engaging them in conversations at eye level to extend and deepen childrens learning
- Attend to the personal care needs of all children in the center
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date files on assigned children
- Participate in planning and implementation of registration activities
- Complete developmental screening within 45 days of child entering the program and incorporate information into weekly planning, classroom set up, and home visits
- Complete Family Mealtime Patterns within 45 days of child entering the program. Update in the spring during 2nd home visit.
- Develop and implement classroom curriculum through age-appropriate activities that include organized learning areas allowing a variety of choices each day based on child and familys needs, interests, culture, home language, and assessment information
- Provide individualized activities for a minimum of three focus children a week
- Complete observations to support each objective and dimension of Teaching Strategies Gold Assessment Systems 3 times per year.
- Review and discuss behavioral and play-based screenings with parent/guardian
- Staff will document all child development, health, and disability delivery of services and follow-up
- Encourage and document parent/guardian partnership in their childs learning experience and their familys Head Start experience
- In partnership with parents/guardians, Center Manager, Childrens Services Managers and CAMs, initiate and document referral process to appropriate agencies/providers based on developmental concerns
- In partnership with families and appropriate community agencies/providers, participate in and ensure documentation of team meetings, evaluation processes, and development of individualized plans
- Assist in implementing Individual Education Plans for children with special needs
- Analyze and discuss child outcomes data at center level and develop an action plan two (part day/part year) or three (full day/full year) times per year.
- Be aware of indicators of child abuse and neglect and comply with Vermont Mandated Reporter Law and program Child Protection Protocol
- Ensure that equipment, toys, and furniture are stored in a safe and orderly fashion and sanitized per child care licensing regulations
Minimum Requirements Include:
Minimum of Bachelors Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field with coursework in Early Childhood Education required
Experience working with young children in a group setting preferred
Work effectively as a team member
Sufficient transportation to meet job requirements
Obtain CPR and First Aid Certification within six months of employment
Effective written and oral communication skills
Commitment to be actively engaged in a continuing process of professional development
Health & Dental Insurance
Life & Accidental Death Insurance
Long Term Disability
Supplemental Insurance Options
Employee Assistance Program
Pension Plan (SEP)
Sick / Family Leave
Minimum Education: Bachelor's
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Experience: 1 Yr
Location: St. Johnsbury, VT