Under the general supervision of the Early Childhood Development Center (ECDC) Director the Cook is responsible for guaranteeing that the children are served nutritious, good tasting and appealing meals and snacks. It is the Cook's responsibility to prepare these meals and snacks by methods that maintain high nutrient levels and that are sanitary. It is also the Cook's duty to deliver meals to the classroom ready for family style meal service and suitable for the children's age and development. The Cook purchases all food and supplies necessary and keeps records required by the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), and Rainbow Village (ECDC). This position involves extensive organizing, problem solving, record keeping, and time management.
- Plans and prepares foods, menus and recipes.
- Purchases food and supplies necessary to prepare the planned menus for the number of enrolled children and program staff.
- meals far enough ahead to minimize the need for food substitutions; when substitutions are necessary, with prior approval, purchases and serves food of equivalent nutritional value.
- Prepares meals and snacks in such a way that a minimum of nutrients from foods, that ensure foods taste good and look appealing, and that there are ample amounts of foods for children to have as many servings as they need.
- Maintains established standards of sanitation, safety and food preparation and storage as set by the local and state health departments; maintains an orderly, sanitary, and safe kitchen.
- Modifies menus and recipes and prepares foods to meet the developmental needs of infants and toddlers and the medical and feeding needs of children with disabilities or food allergies.
- Delivers foods from the kitchen to the classrooms ready to be served as suitable for the age and development.
- Shares duties with the Assistant Cook(s) (if any) for efficient functioning of food service program.
- Maintains cost control, budget and inventory systems based on CAFCP procedures including records of food production, service and attendance.
- Assures the proper care and maintenance of all food service equipment; identifies equipment needs for food preparation and service and assists in purchasing as needed.
- Assists teachers with developing food activities for the children in the classroom.
- Cooperates with and participates in nutrition education activities for staff, parents and children.
- Participates in all emergency drills and environmental safety activities.
- Attends and participates in grantee-sponsored trainings, center pre-service and in-service trainings, and other continuing education, career and professional development opportunities.
- Participates in Rainbow Village ECDC’s self-evaluation process and grantee monitoring visits and complies with any applicable Program Improvement Plans developed.
- Participates in general staff meetings and other meetings and events planned by the Director or CEO.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
It is preferred that the Cook have course work and training in foods, nutrition and/or dietetics. It is also preferred that the Cook a current Food Handlers Certificate at the time of hiring.
Nice To Haves
Experience in child food service preparation and management desirable. Knowledge of CACFP requirements also desirable.
Minimum Education: High School or Equivalent
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Experience: 1 Yr
Location: Duluth, GA