Now hiring at the following location:
Auburndale Learning Academy, 7604 Third Street Road, Louisville, KY 40214
The Head Start Assistant Teacher is responsible for assisting with a classroom of children 3-5 years of age. S/he works collaboratively with a Head Start teacher, family members, and other staff to achieve positive outcomes for children of all abilities. This position reports to the Center Director.
The premise of Head Start is simple: every child, regardless of circumstances at birth, has the ability to reach their full potential. Working in partnership with Family & Children's Place, Greater Louisville Head Start is a free program helping nearly 450 families each year by:
- Enhancing each child's growth and development
- Strengthening parents' ability to nurture their child
- Connecting families with needed community resources
- Providing children with educational, health, and nutritional services
Early Head Start is designed for income-eligible children from birth through age 3, with families choosing between daily programs at learning centers around Louisville or weekly home visits. Head Start is designed for income-eligible children from ages 3 to 5 and is offered only at learning centers. Both Early Head Start and Head Start are inclusive of children and families with disabilities and/or special needs.
- Ensure classroom arrangement, materials and displays are organized and conducive to children's learning.
- Maintain positive teacher-child interactions that provide emotional support and behavior management.
- Implement GLHS's chosen curriculum with fidelity, being aware of the big ideas while also following all guidance and resources.
- Assist Teacher in the preparation or modification of weekly lesson plans, implementation of individual plans, small-group activities and other curriculum components.
- Provide children with a consistent classroom routine and assist in facilitating all parts of the routine to support child learning.
- Interact with children intentionally throughout the day to provide differentiated support.
- Assist in screenings/assessments and completing quarterly checkpoints for each child.
- Establish positive and productive relationships with families through building rapport and trust.
- Participate in ongoing reflective coaching and self-assessment.
- Assume responsibilities and duties upon the absence of the Teacher.
In addition, the teacher will:
- Know and understand GLHS's School Readiness Goals and strive to help all children achieve them.
- Provide classroom experiences that are developmentally, linguistically, culturally and age-appropriate for the children served.
- Establish and maintain a safe, healthy learning environment, including full supervision of children at all times, and monitoring of daily health/safety practices in accordance with Head Start and childcare licensing requirements.
- Maintain required documentation of activities, including child and family information, assessment data, volunteer logs, etc.
- Participates in assigned meetings, events and training as required.
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- Preschool CDA -OR- state awarded certificate that meets or exceeds the requirements for a CDA credential -OR- enrolled to complete Preschool CDA within 2 years of hire -OR- AA/BA with at least 9 credits in ECE -OR- enrolled in a program that will lead to an AA/BA (Tuition assistance is available. Salary based on highest level of education attained)
- Physical exam and background checks are required for this position.
- Travel required locally or long-distance up to 10% of the time for work-related meetings and functions.
- Must have a valid state issued ID; valid KY driver's license preferred
- Must have reliable transportation.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated computer literacy skills, using MS Office applications and other basic data systems including internet navigation.
- Must be dependable and able to meet deadlines.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
Nice To Haves
Salary : $10.20 to $15.29/Hr
Minimum Education : High School or Equivalent
Job Type : Full Time
Category : Education/Training
Minimum Experience : 1 Yr
Location : Louisville, KY