General: University Avenue Discovery Center (UADC) is hiring substitute teachers for our preschool and after-school classrooms for the 2018-2019 school-year. For this as-needed position, we take down your availability and contact you when we need you to fill in.
This position is supervised by the Executive Director and is represented by the UADC Executive Board of Directors. UADC offers a competitive salary. The ideal candidate will have coursework and experience pertaining to education.
Purpose: To assist teachers in providing developmentally appropriate childcare and educational experiences to children 2 years 9 months - 11 years old. At this time, substitutes monitor the classroom, play at the child’s level, set up for snack, put cots away as students wake up, help walk older students from the bus (depending on the shifts you’re available), etc. Other duties can include reading stories, small projects, and playground fun! UADC also has a large gym space for inclement weather days.
- Assist teachers in the classroom with day to day activities
- Set up nap time activity that teachers have left
- Interact with children at their level
- Help teachers clean up morning activities
- Set up snack
- Assist with daily set-up, and clean-up of classroom materials
- Assist with lunch and snacks, toileting, and resting
- Assist in supervision of free play, indoors and outdoors
- Assist with individual, small group, and large group work with children
- Assist when children go out of the center for fieldtrips or walks
- Occasionally take responsibility for a group of children during teacher planning, staff meetings, and teacher in-service
- After appropriate training, share in responsibilities for child supervision an management
- Assist children in working through problems, after observing Lead Teachers in the classroom
Goals for Working with Children:
- To assist in developing a positive self-concept by creating a comfortable and safe atmosphere in which children can interact.
- To assist in developing physical awareness by providing an opportunity for large and small motor activities, both in and out of doors.
- To assist in developing a child’s ability to solve problems by providing opportunities for individual and group activities.
- To assist in developing creative abilities by offering opportunities for self-expression in art, music and dramatic play.
- 18 years of age or older.
- 3 university credits in Early Childhood Education or a 40 hour technical school course as approved by the Department of Children and Families.
- Good communication skills, cooperative attitude, ability to work alone, take responsibility, show initiative, and take direction.
- Complete a Criminal Background Disclosure with no criminal violations or offenses substantially related to the care of children.
- After hiring date: Center orientation and training including state regulations and NAEYC standards; classroom schedule and routines; child guidance policies and regulations; Child Abuse and Neglect training; Shaken Baby Prevention Training; Emergency drills and evacuation procedures; Tb test and health report, CPR, First Aid, and AED training.
Salary: $11 to $14/Hr
Job Type: Part Time
Minimum Experience: 1 Yr
Location: MADISON, WI