Blakemore Children's Center seeks an enthusiastic and efficient Cook. The cook is responsible for all food-related services for the Center. This includes preparing nutritionally balanced, attractive family-style meals and snacks for children and staff, planning the week's menu, and purchasing all food and misc. items needed for the week. This also includes maintaining the kitchen and eating areas in a clean, hygienic, safe and presentable condition. The cook may be required to aid in the supervision of children during meals or snack or to assist in the classroom in case of an emergency.
- Is knowledgeable of USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program requirements for children.
- Plans, posts and follows approved menus that meet USDA/CACFP requirements.
- Notes any food substitutions on the menu.
- Keeps accurate meal and snack counts as required for USDA/CACFP.
- Economically shops for food and related supplies and maintains an accurate inventory.
- Prepares and serves food at safe, appropriate temperatures and in appropriate serving
- Does not serve children under the age of four years the following foods: hot dogs, whole
or sliced into rounds, whole grapes, nuts, popcorn, raw peas, hard pretzels, spoonfuls of peanut butter or chunks of raw carrots or meat larger than can be swallowed whole.
- Maintains safe storage for food, cooking and serving supplies, equipment, utensils and
cleaning supplies in accordance with state and local regulations.
- Keeps the refrigerator, stove and hood, can opener and other appliances clean and in good working order.
- Cleans the kitchen counters, shelves and drawers.
- Sets the tables for meals and snacks according to proper etiquette.
- Follows all center, local regulatory and NAEYC health, safety, and hygiene procedures.
- Empties and cleans trash and garbage cans.
- Washes and sanitizes dishes and cookware using the dishwasher or local sanitizing
methods as required by the Health Department.
- Understands emergency procedures and what to do in cases including but not limited to
fire, tornado, hurricane or chemical leak.
- When requested, assists teachers with food and cooking experiences they plan for children.
- Work in harmony with other center staff and show enthusiasm for the job.
- Establish and maintain a friendly, supportive rapport with families.
- Participate in ongoing in-service training to expand knowledge of child development
and food service.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Relevant experience in a childcare facility kitchen, commercial kitchen, school cafeteria
or its equivalent.
- Possess knowledge of basic principles of good nutrition.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, shop, prepare and serve balanced meals and snacks.
- Experience with the USDA/CACFP Food Program preferred.
- Good personal cleanliness habits.
- Sincere interest in working with young children and a willingness to participate in child
development training opportunities.
Nice To Haves
One week paid vacation, paid holidays and school closings, 5 sick days. Hours are Monday-Friday 8-2 with a 30 minute paid break. Ideal hours for parents with school-age children!
Salary : $10 to $15/Hr
Minimum Education : High School or Equivalent
Job Type : Part Time
Category : Restaurant/Food Services
Minimum Experience : None
Location : Nashville, TN