The Head Start Teacher is responsible for a Head Start classroom of 3 to 5 year old children in one of the child care centers listed below. S/he works collaboratively with an assistant teacher, family members, and other staff to achieve positive outcomes for children of all abilities.
GLHS is recruiting candidates for the following child care centers located in Louisville, KY:
Keystone Learning Academy
St. Benedict Center for Early Childhood Education
Auburndale Learning Academy
- Ensure classroom arrangement, materials and displays are organized and conducive to children's learning.
- Maintain positive teacher-child interactions that provide emotional support and behavior management.
- Implement GLHS's chosen curriculum with fidelity, being aware of the big ideas while also following all guidance and resources.
- Prepare or modify weekly lesson plans and prepare to implement individual plans, small-group activities and other curriculum components.
- Provide children with a consistent classroom routine and facilitate all parts of the routine to support child learning.
- Interact with children intentionally throughout the day to provide differentiated support.
- Collect documentation of children through ongoing observation, embedded and direct assessment activities.
- Complete quarterly assessment checkpoints, reliably, for each child.
- Analyze child assessment data and use it to plan and individualize.
- Complete developmental and social-emotional screenings on all children within prescribed time frames.
- Integrate Individual Education Plans (IEPs) or referral action plans for children with diagnosed or suspected special needs.
- Establish positive and productive relationships with families through building rapport and trust.
- Schedule and complete two home visits and two parent-teacher conferences each year.
- Participate in ongoing reflective coaching and self-assessment.
- Collaborate with the assistant teacher and other staff in the center.
- Share pertinent information with family services, disabilities/mental health or health/nutrition staff, as needed, to meet the needs of individual children and families. Participate in case conferences as appropriate.
- Know and understand GLHS's School Readiness Goals and strive to help all children achieve them.
- Provide classroom experiences that are developmentally, linguistically, culturally and age-appropriate for the children served.
- Establish and maintain a safe, healthy learning environment, including full supervision of children at all times, and monitoring of daily health/safety practices in accordance with Head Start and childcare licensing requirements.
- Maintain required documentation of activities, including child and family information, assessment data, volunteer logs, etc.
- Participates in assigned meetings, events and training as required.
- AA/AS in Early Childhood Education -- OR a BA/BS in Early Childhood Education, OR a state awarded preschool teacher certification with experience teaching preschool aged children, OR a BA/BS in related field with at least six college courses in Early Childhood Education plus experience teaching preschool aged children.
- Physical exam and background checks are required for this position.
- Travel required locally or long-distance up to 10% of the time for work-related meetings and functions.
- Must have a valid state issued ID; valid KY driver's license preferred.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must be honest, dependable and able to meet deadlines.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
Nice To Haves
- Demonstrated computer literacy skills, using MS Office applications and other basic data systems including internet navigation.
- Bilingual skills.
Benefits are specific to each employer/child care center and Salary is based on education and experience.
Salary : $12 to $18/Hr
Minimum Education : Associate
Job Type : Full Time
Category : Education/Training
Minimum Experience : 1 Yr
Location : Louisville, KY